Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The NEW Chicken Sandwich

If you have spent any time of the past year either online, watching TV commercials or visiting any Fast Food chain anytime in the past year or two, chances are you've seen 2 things. One, a now hiring sign (more recently, cause EVERYONE is hiring it seems) and two, a sign advertising a NEW Chicken Sandwich. Popeyes is the one who started the chicken sandwich war. And literally, I mean a war. Brawls broke out, they ran out of sandwiches, it was intense. And ever since then, everybody, and I mean everybody, has been trying to compete to make the NEW Chicken Sandwich. From Wendy's to Zaxby's, KFC to McDonalds, Church's to the latest of Burger King. Everyone's doing it. Some restaurants have even tried multiple chicken sandwiches and recipes during that time frame.  

Now all of these chicken sandwiches are VERY similar in appearance. A fried boneless chicken breast, placed on a toasted buttered bun, with two pickles on top. Sound familiar to anyone? Sure some throw in lettuce and tomato, but for the most part they are all trying to look the same...Because back in 1964, a man by the name of Truett Cathy invented this chicken sandwich at a place called Chick-Fil-A, and their recipe hasn't really changed since.

Now, I'm going to go ahead and stop right here and put a huge DISCLAIMER because I know the controversy people have with Chick-Fil-A. I know people disagree with their political stances or religious views, but that's not why I'm here. I'm strictly here to talk about what they do extremely well, and that's make delicious chicken.  And I won't even waste my breath explaining to you why they are the best fast food chain of all time (just my humble opinion😜). But I digress....

First off, lets start with the word "NEW" Why is this word so catchy to us? Because let me tell you, its not just in the world of chicken sandwiches it gets used. New iPhone, computer, car, house, new look, etc. I could go on for days! We have a culture that is obsessed with new. We must always have the latest and greatest thing. It's something that's been built into our culture. We have associated the term NEW = Better. And that's not certainly always the case is it? Let's take a look at a case when NEW failed miserably. Anyone remember "NEW" Coke. I mean it came out before my time, but I've heard the stories about how it wasn't as good and it wasn't very successful. We live in this ever changing world, but that's not always a good thing. 

First off, this makes me extremely thankful that we have a God that is not ever changing. 

Hebrews 13:8- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. 

Could you imagine if we worshiped a God who changed as much as these chicken sandwiches do? We wouldn't be able to keep up. And I think we would quickly be annoyed with understanding what was the newest and greatest thing and what we were expected to do. I'm thankful for a God who never changes. 

However, NEW does not always equal a bad thing. In the bible, we see God use the term new multiple times to talk about us, as Christians. But this is the one I want to focus on. 

2 Corinthians 5:17-21: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come. The old has gone, the new is here. All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the  ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 

We are called to become a NEW creation. But here's the key, we can't turn the old person into a new person. The old must be completely striped away and the new creation must replace it. And because of Christ, this new creation is even available. 

But the next thing I wanna talk about with these chicken sandwiches is the imitation factor. As I mentioned above, they all look very similar to the original made by Chick-Fil-A. And do you know why that is? Because all of these companies know that Chick-Fil-A struck Gold. They know they do it well and have for so long, and so these companies try to copy them to compete with them. There's a saying that goes "Imitation is the greatest form of Flattery." Every time I see one of these companies try to take a shot at Chick-Fil-A, whether talking bad about their food or whether or not they are closed on Sunday's, I just say to myself "Chick-Fil-A is laughing all the way to the bank" because it hasn't affected their business one bit. 

The bible also talks about a form of imitation. 

Ephesians 5:1-2: Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. 

1 Corinthians 11:1- Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. 

Both these books, Ephesians and 1 Corinthians, were written as letters by Paul to both the churches in Ephesus and Corinth. And I find it interesting that he uses very similar language. First off, we are called to be imitators of God. I mean this, as Christians, is our entire life's purpose. To become like Christ so that we can bring others to Christ. To Walk in love, like Christ loved us. And giving everything back to God. It's by no means easy, but it is what we are called to do. 

But then, I love the boldness of Paul in 1 Corinthians. He no longer says to imitate God, but to imitate him, because he is of Christ. Paul founded the church in Corinth, so these people that he is writing to have a deep amount of respect to him. They looked up to him as their leader, and what a leader he was. Now, this doesn't mean Paul was perfect. That's not what imitating Christ means. Sure, the ultimate goal is that of Holy Perfection, but its not obtainable here on this earth (at least in my opinion). But imitating Christ means living with EVERYTHING you've got for Him, giving it your all towards him, and not following the ways of this world. 

I want to be like Paul. I want to have that boldness about me, that when people look at me, they know without a shadow of a doubt that I am imitating Christ, therefore they can imitate me. I want to be like that Chick-Fil-A sandwich. The OG, that everyone is trying to imitate. I want my life to undoubtedly be that of one that is for Christ. Especially as a person who is working with teenagers, shaping that next generation of youth. Actions speak louder than words. So I want to be that example of Christ to not only them, but everyone I come into contact with. 

I'm not perfect, nor am I anywhere close nor do I claim to be. But I'm trying. I'm giving it my all. The old has gone, the new has come. 

And for now, I'm going to eat some Chick-Fil-A.

Until Next Time.

Todd Handell


No comments:

Post a Comment