Saturday, June 30, 2012

Camp Hope....the Pride of all the States

So today, I got to go to the happiest place on Earth. And no, I'm actually not talking about Disney World. I'm talking about Camp Hope. Now, I'm sure that many of you probably don't even know what Camp Hope is. But it is the coolest, best, most wonderful and loving place in this entire world, and I am convinced of that. Camp Hope is a place located on Lake Hartwell in Clemson, SC at the Clemson University Outdoor Lab. It is a Camp that is for people with Cognitive Disabilities any where from age 8 until (I believe the oldest camper who comes is somewhere around age 70.) I have worked at this camp for the past two summers, and I have absolutely loved it. It is also a great way for me to get work in my major as well, as I get to work with people with disabilities. There are many activities at Camp, such as swimming in the lake or pool, as well as the water slide, arts and crafts, drama, archery, canoeing, and all kinds of different fun things to do.

I got to visit there today because my brother, Brian, is a camper there, and has been going there for somewhere around 10 summers. So I volunteered (because I really, really wanted to) to go pick up my brother from Camp today. I pulled in, next to his cabin, and literally, my car was surrounded by people, that's how much love exists in this place. Not only did I get to see so many of my favorite campers, but as well as some of my greatest friends that are counselors at Camp Hope. I was greeted with many hugs, handshakes, and high fives. It was great. I had a smiled glued on my face that was a mile wide. I absolutely love this place! And as great as it was to see everybody, it also made me quite sad. I really miss working there a lot. But I also love my job at Bethel this summer, and I know that's where God wants me to be this summer. But I am hoping that I do get to return for at least one more summer at Camp Hope next summer.

There is really only one good word to describe Camp Hope, and that word is LOVE, which I have already mentioned many times throughout this blog post. And, it just so happens that the theme for this summer is LOVE IS LOUDER! It fits Camp Hope so perfectly, and it reminded me of this passage of scripture:

1 Corinthians 13:4-13: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs .Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trust, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But when there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


Camp Hope is the most beautiful place on Earth. And I don't just mean physically beautiful, but beautiful because of the people who work there. All of the Campers, Counselors, and full-time Staff are all so great. I really miss working at Camp Hope a lot, but it will always have a solid place in my heart.





 Here is my all time favorite picture I have ever taken at Camp Hope. This is the sunset on the lake on the last night of my first summer there!

No comments:

Post a Comment